CBC Today has announced the longlist for this year’s Canada Reads competition, to take place at the end of March (26 – 29). Last year was the first year I really participated in this and I really enjoyed it. I managed to read all of the shortlisted books except one and I think I did read one or two more from the longlist as well. In perusing the longlist (see below), I see a handful of books I might enjoy. They aren’t all within my comfort zone but that’s exactly why I should read them if I get the chance.
This year, Ali Hassan will again be the host of the show. He did a pretty good job of keeping everyone on the same page. I think the panelists get announced at the same time as the shortlist which is announced on January 30.
My plan is to see which of the books I think I’d like to read and get my hands on a couple before the Shortlist is announced, though I already checked my library’s site and there are not a lot of them available as e-books. The links in the list below will take you to a short blurb about the book on the CBC site. I’ve noted the two I have on hold at the library and put ** beside others I think might be good. Sometimes, Kobo and Kindle put them on sale before the debates so I will keep an eye out there as well.
Edited to add: I forgot to mention the theme of this year’s Canada Reads, it is “One book to Open Your Eyes” and the description is “These books challenge readers to look differently at themselves, their neighbours and the world around them”. The defender of the winner of this year’s competition must have successfully argued that their book is the one that changes how you look at the world. Interesting!
2018 Canada Reads Longlist
- Saints and Misfits by S.K. Ali **
- The Boat People by Sharon Bala
- Suzanne by Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette, translated by Rhonda Mullins
- Brother by David Chariandy
- Tomboy Survival Guide by Ivan Coyote (I’ve put this on hold)
- Precious Cargo by Craig Davidson (I’ve put this on hold)
- The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline
- American War by Omar El Akkad **
- Scarborough by Catherine Hernandez **
- The Measure of a Man by JJ Lee
- Out Standing in the Field by Sandra Perron
- The Clothesline Swing by Ahmad Danny Ramadan
- Forgiveness by Mark Sakamoto **
- Dance, Gladys, Dance by Cassie Stocks **
- Seven Fallen Feathers by Tanya Talaga